Government

Greensboro police close Lowdermilk Street after reported gunfire, then reopen it

Police shut down Lowdermilk Street near Dawson Avenue and Nash Street after neighbors reported gunshots and saw officers enter a home with guns drawn.

James Thompson··2 min read
Published
Listen to this article0:00 min
Share this article:
Greensboro police close Lowdermilk Street after reported gunfire, then reopen it
Source: wfmynews2.com

Greensboro police closed part of Lowdermilk Street on Saturday evening after neighbors said they heard gunshots and saw officers surround a home in the 600 block, then later reopened the road after the scene cleared.

The closure stretched between Dawson Avenue and Nash Street, with officers seen at 601 Lowdermilk St. around 6:30 p.m. Neighbors told WFMY News 2 that police arrived after they heard shots, and they described a heavy response that included officers going inside the home with guns drawn. Children were also seen being led out of the house, underscoring how quickly the incident disrupted a residential block.

By the time the street reopened, Greensboro police had not publicly said what triggered the response or whether anyone had been arrested. Officials also had not disclosed whether anyone was injured. Those unanswered questions matter for nearby residents, who were left with a closed street, a large police presence and little information about whether the scene involved an active threat, a warrant service or another kind of criminal investigation.

Lowdermilk Street has seen a serious police response before. On March 31, 2022, Greensboro police said Termaine James barricaded himself inside a Lowdermilk Street home for about five hours before peacefully surrendering. That earlier standoff remains part of the street’s recent history and helps explain why residents are likely to pay close attention any time officers again block the roadway and converge on a house.

City of Greensboro planning materials also show Lowdermilk Street in discussions tied to pedestrian improvements, including curb and gutter work and sidewalks. That makes the street a familiar residential corridor, not an isolated police scene, and increases the impact when traffic is cut off and neighbors are forced to watch an unfolding investigation from their porches and driveways.

For Guilford County residents following public-safety developments, the immediate facts are limited but significant: a reported gunfire call, a police shutdown between Dawson Avenue and Nash Street, officers entering a home with weapons drawn, and no public answer yet on the cause, injuries or arrests.

Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?

Submit a Tip

Never miss a story.

Get Guilford, NC updates weekly. The top stories delivered to your inbox.

Free forever · Unsubscribe anytime

Discussion

More in Government