Channel 4 pulls Married at First Sight UK amid rape allegations
Channel 4 has pulled Married at First Sight UK after two former contestants alleged rape and a third alleged a non-consensual sex act.

Channel 4 has removed all previous seasons of Married at First Sight UK from streaming and linear services, and taken down the programme’s social channels, after a BBC Panorama film raised fresh questions about whether the show’s safeguards were strong enough to protect participants.
The Dark Side of Married at First Sight aired on BBC One on Monday, 18 May 2026 and reported allegations from three former female contestants. Two women said they were raped by their on-screen husbands during filming, while a third alleged a non-consensual sex act. One of the women also said her on-screen husband threatened her with an acid attack. The three men accused denied the allegations.

Channel 4 and CPL Productions said welfare protocols were followed and that the allegations were disputed. But the broadcaster had already commissioned an external review in April 2026, and the controversy has now sharpened attention on the system meant to detect risk, handle complaints and intervene before harm escalates. The review has two parts: Clyde & Co is examining the welfare protocols in place when claims were raised and how Channel 4 and CPL dealt with them, while former BBC One controller Lorraine Heggessey is assessing whether current welfare protocols should be strengthened.
Priya Dogra, Channel 4’s newly appointed chief executive, said the Panorama film was “very troubling” to watch. She initially stopped short of apologising, saying she had sympathy for the women, but later said she was deeply sorry after watching the documentary and hearing their accounts. Channel 4 said the programme would not be broadcast while the investigations continued.

The Metropolitan Police urged anyone who believes they may have been a victim of sexual assault linked to the programme to come forward, while saying it had not yet received criminal reports in relation to the matter. In Whitehall, security minister Dan Jarvis said he was “extremely concerned”, and the prime minister’s spokesperson called the claims “extremely serious”.

The episode has moved the debate beyond individual apologies and into the structure of reality-TV oversight itself: what duty of care producers owe contestants, how complaints are escalated, and why allegations this grave were not stopped earlier. With Channel 4 now removing the franchise from circulation and two separate reviews under way, the focus is on whether the existing welfare framework failed the people it was meant to protect.
Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?
Submit a Tip

