U.S.

Pentagon releases new batch of UFO files in rolling declassification effort

The Pentagon posted 50-plus new UFO videos and documents as a federal archive widened, but AARO still says the files show no extraterrestrial evidence.

Sarah Chen··2 min read
Published
Listen to this article0:00 min
Share this article:
Pentagon releases new batch of UFO files in rolling declassification effort
Source: abcnews.com

The Pentagon widened its public UFO archive on Friday with more than 50 newly declassified videos and documents, adding a fresh layer to a rolling release that is designed to make once-secret UAP records available without a clearance. The new tranche was posted as part of PURSUE, the Presidential Unsealing and Reporting System for UAP Encounters, a federal effort that now spans the White House, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the Department of Energy, NASA, the FBI, the Pentagon and the All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office.

The release builds on the first batch, which came out on May 8 and included 162 declassified files dating back to the late 1940s. Pentagon officials said the material had already been reviewed for security reasons before publication, but many records have not yet been fully analyzed for possible explanations. The files are being posted at war.gov/ufo, and officials said more material will continue to roll out over time.

AI-generated illustration
AI-generated illustration

The disclosure effort is also a political signal. Congress created AARO in 2022 and pushed for more reporting and archival review after years of pressure for greater transparency around unidentified anomalous phenomena. AARO has said it has found no evidence that the incidents are extraterrestrial, even as many cases remain unresolved. That leaves the government in a familiar position: it is opening the vault, but not yet delivering definitive answers.

Among the newly released items were an April 2024 Coast Guard infrared video showing an object near a plane over the Southeastern United States and a 2021 Syria clip labeled “Syrian UAP instant acceleration.” The broader release appears to reinforce a pattern seen in other military-linked sightings, with many reports clustered around active operations and the bulk of them coming from military pilots. That gives the public more raw evidence to examine, but it does not close the gap between mystery and explanation. For now, the administration’s declassification push is producing a larger public record, while the central question remains the same: what, exactly, was seen in the sky?

Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?

Submit a Tip

Never miss a story.

Get Prism News updates weekly. The top stories delivered to your inbox.

Free forever · Unsubscribe anytime

Discussion

More in U.S.