White House East Wing debris tested positive for toxic metals at golf course
Lead and chromium in East Wing debris dumped at East Potomac Golf Links raised new fears for golfers, workers and cleanup obligations.

Toxic metals in White House East Wing demolition debris have turned a major renovation into a public-health and accountability test at East Potomac Golf Links, where lead, chromium and other harmful substances were found in material dumped on a public course used year-round by thousands of people.
The contamination landed on federal recreation land about 3 kilometers southeast of the White House, at a site that remains one of Washington’s busiest public golf properties. East Potomac Golf Links hosts more than 90,000 rounds a year, and the National Park Service says it is one of three D.C. golf courses operated under a 50-year master lease with National Links Trust that began on Oct. 5, 2020. The course also carries a painful civil-rights history: it was originally segregated and was not fully desegregated until 1941, after three Black men insisted on playing there under police guard.

The Park Service began dumping East Wing debris onto the golf course in October, and more than 30,000 cubic yards of excavated soil had been moved there as of last month. That scale matters. This was not a small spoil pile tucked out of sight, but a large transfer of material from a demolition tied directly to a White House project that is already reshaping public land and raising questions about who reviewed the disposal plan.
An interim report by a Virginia engineering firm found PCBs, pesticides, petroleum byproducts and other chemicals above laboratory reporting limits in soil at East Potomac Golf Links. The Park Service said the East Wing debris itself tested positive for lead, chromium and other toxic metals. For golfers, grounds crews and nearby workers, the finding raises questions about exposure, dust control and whether the site was prepared for material that could carry long-term contamination.

The stakes are sharpened by the White House’s decision in July 2025 to replace the East Wing with a new White House State Ballroom. The administration said the East Wing, built in 1902 and extensively modified in 1942, would give way to an approximately 90,000-square-foot addition. Jim McCrery, Clark Construction and AECOM are on the project. The dispute now sits at the intersection of preservation, federal land management and environmental oversight.

The National Links Trust said the Trump administration moved in January 2026 to terminate its lease, and the organization said it was “devastated” after years of operating the courses under Park Service oversight. The DC Preservation League sued over the dumping, and U.S. District Judge Ana Reyes declined on May 4 to halt maintenance at the course. What remains is a basic question with national implications: whether environmental rules are enforced with the same force when the federal government itself is the source of the pollution.
Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?
Submit a Tip

