News

Japan urges China to protect nationals after Shanghai restaurant stabbing

Japan pressed China to protect its citizens after a fruit knife attack in a Shanghai restaurant injured two Japanese men and a Chinese woman.

Derek Washington··2 min read
Published
Listen to this article0:00 min
Share this article:
Japan urges China to protect nationals after Shanghai restaurant stabbing
Source: c8.alamy.com

A lunchtime stabbing in one of Shanghai’s best-known office towers has shaken expatriate workers and sharpened concerns about restaurant safety in buildings that mix dining rooms with corporate tenants. Chinese police said a 59-year-old man armed with a fruit knife entered a Japanese restaurant in the Shanghai World Financial Center in Pudong district around noon on Tuesday and stabbed two Japanese men and a Chinese woman before being detained at the scene.

Chinese authorities said all three victims were taken to hospital for treatment. Japanese reports said none of the injuries were life-threatening, but one of the injured Japanese men was a senior executive at a Japanese company with an office in the same building, underscoring how quickly an attack in a restaurant can spill into the workplace for managers, staff and nearby tenants. The incident landed in a part of the city packed with corporate offices, where lunch service often overlaps with office traffic, visiting clients and rotating shift staff.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry said the suspect had been described as a person with a mental disorder and called the attack an isolated case. Guo Jiakun, the ministry’s spokesperson, urged media and others not to draw groundless conclusions or make unwarranted associations. Japanese and Chinese authorities are investigating.

AI-generated illustration
AI-generated illustration

Tokyo moved quickly to press for tighter protection of its nationals. Japan asked China to ensure the safety of Japanese citizens in the country and to severely punish the suspect, according to Japan’s Foreign Ministry. The Japanese consulate in Shanghai also advised Japanese residents to stay vigilant. The response reflected the wider anxiety among expatriates in China, especially in a period of already tense Japan-China relations after a recent diplomatic standoff over Taiwan.

For restaurants, the episode is a reminder that security planning is not just a front-door issue. Mixed-use properties need clear procedures for unusual behavior, rapid coordination with building security and local police, and a plan for getting staff and diners out of harm’s way without turning a lunch shift into a chaotic evacuation. The immediate question after an attack like this is not only how the injured are treated, but how quickly a venue can account for workers, protect guests and reopen safely.

Related stock photo
Photo by Yudi Ding

In a restaurant district built around international business traffic, even a single violent episode can rattle reservations, employee confidence and tenant schedules. The Shanghai stabbing now sits at the intersection of public safety, workplace risk and the fragile sense of normalcy that restaurant operators rely on every day.

Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?

Submit a Tip

Never miss a story.

Get Restaurants updates weekly. The top stories delivered to your inbox.

Free forever · Unsubscribe anytime

Discussion

More Restaurants News