Guilty plea in Florida killing brings closure for Castle Rock family
Tamarius Blair Davis pleaded guilty in the Miami Beach killing of Dustin Wakefield, moving a five-year Castle Rock tragedy toward sentencing. Wakefield’s family is still waiting on how much time Davis will serve.

A guilty plea has moved the Miami Beach killing of Castle Rock father Dustin Wakefield out of the trial phase and into sentencing, giving his family the first formal step toward accountability in nearly five years. It settles Davis’s guilt, but not his punishment, and it leaves key questions about the sentence and the family’s long wait for closure still open.
Wakefield was 21 when he was shot on Aug. 24, 2021, outside La Cerveceria de Barrio at 1412 Ocean Drive in Miami Beach. He had been dining with his wife and their 1-year-old son, Eli, when the attack happened. Davis, then 22 and from Norcross, Georgia, later pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, attempted second-degree murder and child abuse in the same incident. The second victim survived with non-life-threatening injuries.

The case has carried a heavy local weight in Douglas County because Wakefield grew up in the Castle Rock area, attended Castle View High School and was in trade school when he died. Reports say Davis told police he was high on psychedelic mushrooms and randomly decided to shoot two people. The Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office did not offer him a plea deal, and the guilty plea came after the case had already stretched across nearly five years of grief, court hearings and public attention.
The next concrete milestone is sentencing. A date had not been set, and a pre-sentencing investigation was required before the court could move forward. Court coverage has said Davis could face life in prison, with one report describing the possible range as 25 years to life. For the Wakefield family, that means the legal process has advanced, but the final measure of punishment still lies ahead.
Lora Wakefield has said she has forgiven Davis, even as the family describes the past several years as emotionally exhausting. She watched the plea hearing virtually from Colorado, a reminder that the consequences of the shooting have reached far beyond the stretch of Ocean Drive where it happened. For Castle Rock and the rest of Douglas County, the plea closes one chapter of the case, but the sentence will determine whether this long-delayed reckoning is remembered as a turning point or only another step in a tragedy that has tested a family’s patience and faith in justice.
Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?
Submit a Tip
