Guilford County Schools rejects false hantavirus closure post on social media
A fake Instagram post claiming a weeklong hantavirus shutdown rattled Guilford County families, but schools stayed open and the district said the account was a spoof.
Guilford County Schools spent part of Tuesday pushing back on a false social media post that claimed the district was closing for a week because of a supposed hantavirus problem. Officials said the message was not legitimate, and classes continued on schedule.
The post was believable because it was built to look like an official district announcement. The impersonating account used a username nearly identical to the real one, with an extra s added to the name. The district’s official Instagram account is @gcschoolsnc, a small detail that matters when a fake can look real enough to trigger panic before parents have time to check.

That kind of confusion has real consequences in Guilford County, where one misleading school alert can scramble transportation, work schedules, childcare and after-school plans for thousands of families. The timing made the hoax more disruptive: some Guilford County schools were in AP testing on May 19, 2026, when routines are already tight and students need clear instructions, not rumors.
The fake closure also leaned on a real public-health concern. On May 11, 2026, the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services said it was monitoring a hantavirus outbreak linked to the cruise ship M/V Hondius. The agency said one North Carolina resident had been on board and was evacuated, while stressing that public risk in North Carolina was extremely low. State officials also said the last reported hantavirus case in North Carolina was in 1995.
That context helps explain why the rumor spread so quickly. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says hantavirus in the United States is most commonly spread by deer mice, and hantavirus pulmonary syndrome can be severe and potentially deadly. A false school closure tied to that kind of illness can feel urgent even when there is no local outbreak.
Guilford County Schools says its communications team works with employees, families, media and partners to keep people informed. District family guidance also reminds parents to keep contact information updated so they do not miss important messages. Before resharing any emergency school claim, families should match the account name carefully, look for confirmation through the district’s official channels, and pause if a post comes from a lookalike account rather than @gcschoolsnc.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation says impersonation scams using social media and other channels remain a persistent problem, and this episode showed how quickly a fake post can test public trust.
Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?
Submit a Tip

