Healthcare

San Juan County jail fentanyl smuggling case leads to overdose arrests

Fentanyl allegedly smuggled through booking sparked seven overdoses in the women’s housing unit, putting jail screening and response under a harsh spotlight.

Dr. Elena Rodriguez··2 min read
Published
Listen to this article0:00 min
Share this article:
San Juan County jail fentanyl smuggling case leads to overdose arrests
Source: hips.hearstapps.com

A fentanyl smuggling case inside the San Juan County Adult Detention Center left seven women overdosed in the women’s housing unit and put the county jail’s screening and supervision practices under scrutiny.

Court records and a sheriff’s office release identify Sarah Giles, 35, of Farmington, as the woman accused of bringing fentanyl into the jail on March 3, 2026. Investigators say the first overdose call came at about 6:50 p.m. that evening, when detainee Angela Wilson became the first of seven women to overdose.

AI-generated illustration
AI-generated illustration

Wilson was treated with Narcan and CPR, taken to the hospital and later returned to the jail. All seven women survived, according to court records and jail reporting.

The sheriff’s office says Giles is charged with trafficking a controlled substance, fentanyl powder, and bringing contraband into jail. The case is especially troubling because Giles had already pleaded guilty in 2021 to possession of a controlled substance and bringing contraband into jail. Under that plea agreement, she received probation, which she later violated, according to the sheriff’s release.

Investigators say surveillance video showed Giles exhibiting behavior consistent with fentanyl use inside the detention center. The release also says other detainees using fentanyl with Giles were captured on camera. A search warrant found paper with suspected fentanyl in the bunk of another detainee who had been moved with Giles.

The scale of the incident has fueled a broader accountability question for San Juan County: how fentanyl entered a county-run lockup, how it moved through the women’s housing unit, and whether staff missed warning signs before multiple overdose responses were needed.

The case lands in a county already under heavy drug pressure. New Mexico had the seventh-highest total drug overdose death rate in the nation in 2023, and state health data show San Juan County’s overdose death rate more than doubled, rising from 20.7 deaths per 100,000 people in 2018 to 42.2 in the most recent county health indicator data.

A 2024 executive order renewing the state’s public health emergency cited more than 1.5 million fentanyl pills and nearly 165 pounds of fentanyl powder seized in New Mexico and West Texas in 2023, and said New Mexico recorded 1,052 fatal overdoses in 2021. Early 2026 law-enforcement reporting also said more than 100,000 fentanyl pills were seized during drug operations in San Juan County, underscoring the pressure on local agencies as the jail case unfolds.

Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?

Submit a Tip

Never miss a story.

Get San Juan, NM updates weekly. The top stories delivered to your inbox.

Free forever · Unsubscribe anytime

Discussion

More in Healthcare