Politics

ABC Accuses FCC of Chilling Speech in View Equal-Time Fight

ABC told the FCC its probe of The View could chill protected speech, after the agency questioned whether James Talarico's appearance triggered equal-time rules.

Sarah Chen··2 min read
Published
Listen to this article0:00 min
Share this article:
ABC Accuses FCC of Chilling Speech in View Equal-Time Fight
Source: nyt.com

ABC has turned its fight with the Federal Communications Commission into a broader First Amendment test, arguing that the agency’s scrutiny of The View reaches beyond broadcast policy and into viewpoint-based pressure on protected speech.

In a filing made public Friday, May 8, 2026, ABC said the FCC’s actions “go beyond its authority” and “threaten to upend decades of settled law and practice and chill critical protected speech, both with respect to 'The View' and more broadly.” The submission, filed on behalf of KTRK-TV, ABC’s owned station in Houston, said the FCC’s order directing the company to file a petition for declaratory ruling was “unprecedented” and cut against the agency’s own stated goal of encouraging free speech and open political discussion.

The dispute began after the FCC opened an investigation in February 2026 into whether The View violated equal-time rules when James Talarico appeared on the program while running for the Democratic U.S. Senate nomination in Texas. Talarico later won the Democratic primary. ABC said the show has been treated as a “bona fide” news program since an FCC determination in 2002, and that hundreds of political candidates have appeared on the program since then without similar controversy.

The legal fight turns on the equal-time rule, also called the equal opportunities requirement, which dates to the 1930s and generally requires broadcasters to give comparable opportunities to opposing legally qualified candidates. Federal rules exempt bona fide newscasts, bona fide news interviews, bona fide news documentaries and on-the-spot coverage of bona fide news events. The FCC’s Media Bureau issued new guidance on January 21, 2026, saying daytime and late-night talk shows may not automatically qualify for the exemption, a move that put a new spotlight on programs like The View, which features Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, Alyssa Farah Griffin, Sunny Hostin and Sara Haines.

AI-generated illustration
AI-generated illustration

The case comes amid a widening clash between President Donald Trump and broadcasters. Reuters reported that Trump has repeatedly demanded that the FCC strip ABC stations of their broadcast licenses, and FCC Chairman Brendan Carr ordered an early review of licenses for Disney’s eight ABC stations last month, one day after Trump demanded that ABC late-night host Jimmy Kimmel be fired over a joke. FCC Commissioner Anna Gomez, the agency’s only Democratic commissioner, praised Disney’s pushback and said, “What the public will remember is who complied in advance and who fought back. I'm glad Disney is choosing courage over capitulation.”

ABC’s filing now puts the FCC in the position of deciding whether a talk show long treated as news programming can still rely on that exemption, or whether a new reading of the rules will reshape how broadcasters cover candidates and a presidential administration that is already pressing harder than most on the country’s media companies.

Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?

Submit a Tip

Never miss a story.

Get Prism News updates weekly. The top stories delivered to your inbox.

Free forever · Unsubscribe anytime

Discussion

More in Politics