DOJ creates $1.776 billion anti-weaponization fund in Trump settlement
The IRS settlement produced a $1.776 billion fund with no damages paid to Trump, raising a new test of who controls claims of “weaponization.”

The unusual part is not just the size of the deal. A federal lawsuit over leaked tax returns has been converted into a $1.776 billion Anti-Weaponization Fund, financed through the Justice Department judgment fund and overseen by a five-member claims commission, with Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche empowered to appoint four of the five members. The Justice Department pointed to the Obama-era Keepseagle settlement, a $760 million fund for Native American farmers and ranchers, as precedent for building a claims fund inside a federal settlement.
The settlement resolves President Donald J. Trump v. Internal Revenue Service, filed in the Southern District of Florida by Donald J. Trump, Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump, and the Trump Organization after the leak of their tax returns. The department said the plaintiffs will receive a formal apology but no monetary payment or damages, and in exchange they will drop the lawsuit with prejudice and withdraw two administrative claims tied to the Mar-a-Lago raid and the Russia-collusion investigation. Court filings showed Trump voluntarily dismissed his $10 billion IRS suit after filing it in January 2026, a case tied to disclosures by former IRS contractor Charles Littlejohn, who pleaded guilty in 2023 and was sentenced to five years in prison.

The mechanics of the fund remain tightly controlled inside the department. DOJ said the fund may issue formal apologies and monetary relief, that claim submission is voluntary, that there are no partisan requirements, and that quarterly reports will go to the attorney general. It also said the fund must protect private information, prevent fraud, stop processing claims no later than December 15, 2028, and return any leftover money to the federal government. That structure makes the question of legal authority central: DOJ is relying on the judgment fund and on its own cited precedent, but the public announcement leaves the claims process broad and heavily discretionary.
The politics landed immediately. Democrats called the arrangement a possible slush fund for Trump allies, while Trump’s legal team said the president, his family, supporters, and other America First Patriots had been illegally targeted by Democrat-led law enforcement agencies. Reuters reported that the commission will be chaired through Blanche’s appointments, which deepens concerns about who will decide whether a claim counts as weaponization or lawfare. In practice, the settlement has created a standing vehicle for future claims of government retaliation, and the fight over its precedent may be only beginning.
Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?
Submit a Tip
