Fort arrest in church protest case alarms Minnesota press freedom advocates
Federal charges have kept Georgia Fort from Minnesota sources and events, turning an arrest into a lasting barrier to newsgathering. Press groups call it a chilling precedent.

Georgia Fort’s federal case has become more than an arrest record. With unresolved charges hanging over her, the Minneapolis journalist has been cut off from Minnesota sources, events and institutional access, a practical barrier that press-freedom advocates say can chill reporting long before any conviction.
Fort was arrested on Jan. 30, 2026, after covering a protest at Cities Church in St. Paul that targeted immigration enforcement operations in Minnesota. The Jan. 18 demonstration drew activists inside the church after one of its pastors, David Easterwood, was identified as an ICE field director in St. Paul. Fort and others livestreamed the protest, which unfolded amid Operation Metro Surge, the Trump administration’s immigration crackdown in the Twin Cities.

Federal prosecutors accused Fort of conspiracy against the right of religious freedom at a place of worship and interference with religious freedom at a place of worship, charges that also brought in a broader set of defendants tied to the protest, including Don Lemon, Jerome Richardson, Nekima Levy Armstrong, Chauntyll Allen and Trahern Jeen Crews. The case also included a misdemeanor under the Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances Act. Fort was held at the Whipple Building, a federal facility about 11 miles from Minneapolis, before being released after spending the day in custody.
At a hearing on Feb. 17 in St. Paul, Fort pleaded not guilty as supporters filled the courtroom and an overflow room. By then, the legal fight had already taken on national significance. The Committee to Protect Journalists said federal felony charges against journalists are extremely rare and called the arrests an egregious assault on the First Amendment. CPJ also noted that a federal magistrate judge and a federal appeals court had rejected earlier Justice Department arrest attempts before the later indictment.
The case widened further by May 5, when CPJ said producer Michael Walker Beute and independent photographer Junn Bollmann had also been indicted and arrested. All of the defendants had been released, but the case remained open, leaving reporters still exposed to the uncertainty of unresolved federal charges.
That uncertainty is the part press advocates fear most. Minnesota newsrooms and press groups, including the Minnesota Star Tribune and the Minnesota Society of Professional Journalists, condemned the arrests as a dangerous precedent for anyone documenting public events. CPJ also drew a line back to 2020, comparing the Minnesota protests and arrests with the George Floyd protests, when it documented widespread attacks on journalists by law enforcement. Amnesty International USA joined CPJ in May in urging the Justice Department to drop the charges, arguing that the legal process itself had already become a barrier to newsgathering.
Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?
Submit a Tip

