Israeli commandos board Global Sumud flotilla off Gaza blockade
Israeli commandos boarded several boats in the Global Sumud flotilla as 16 vessels were intercepted far from Gaza. The standoff revived legal fights over an 18-year blockade.

Israeli commandos boarded several boats in the Global Sumud flotilla as live broadcasts from the convoy cut out, and by midafternoon 16 vessels had been intercepted about 250 nautical miles from Gaza. The confrontation put one of the largest maritime challenges yet to Israel’s naval blockade under military control, with about 50 civilian boats and delegations from roughly 40 to 46 countries taking part.
The convoy’s core mission left Spain on Aug. 31, 2025, then linked up with boats from Tunisia, Italy, Greece and other points across the Mediterranean. Organizers said the flotilla was carrying symbolic humanitarian aid, mainly food and medicine, into Gaza, where they said conditions had become catastrophic. Greta Thunberg and former Barcelona mayor Ada Colau were among the best-known participants.

At the center of the dispute are competing legal claims. The flotilla’s organizers said Israel has enforced an 18-year blockade that amounts to collective punishment. Israel has said the blockade is necessary to stop weapons reaching Hamas, and the Israel Foreign Ministry called the flotilla a “provocation for the sake of provocation.” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised the navy operation and said it was stopping a “malicious plan” to break what he called the isolation imposed on Hamas in Gaza.

The interception also deepened diplomatic tensions. Turkey condemned the operation as a “new act of piracy” and demanded the release of detained participants, while its foreign ministry said it was monitoring the situation with other countries. Italian and Spanish authorities had dispatched naval vessels to provide assistance as the flotilla crossed the Mediterranean, underscoring how the mission drew in governments as well as activists, doctors, lawyers, parliamentarians and seafarers.
The confrontation echoed the 2010 Mavi Marmara raid, when Israeli forces boarded six vessels carrying humanitarian supplies 72 nautical miles from shore, an operation that became an international flashpoint after deaths and detentions. A United Nations panel later documented that incident, and the legal argument over the blockade has shadowed every major Gaza flotilla since. This latest seizure threatened to narrow aid access even further, while also adding pressure to already fragile ceasefire talks over Gaza’s war and humanitarian collapse.
Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?
Submit a Tip

