World

Israeli strike kills seven in Lebanon as ceasefire falters

An Israeli strike in Saksakiyeh killed seven, including a child, as the U.S.-brokered cease-fire frayed under fresh raids, evacuations and unanswered questions.

Marcus Williams··2 min read
Published
Listen to this article0:00 min
Share this article:
Israeli strike kills seven in Lebanon as ceasefire falters
Source: bbc.com

An Israeli strike on Saksakiyeh in southern Lebanon’s Sidon district killed at least seven people, including a child, and wounded 15 more, including three children, according to Lebanon’s health ministry. The attack landed as Israel and Hezbollah kept exchanging fire despite the cease-fire announced last month, underscoring how little protection the agreement has provided to civilians living along the border.

The Israeli military said it struck Hezbollah militants in Saksakiyeh and accused them of planning attacks against Israeli soldiers. It said reports of civilian harm were being reviewed. The strike added to a mounting toll in southern Lebanon, where evacuation orders have already been issued for dozens of towns and villages since the cease-fire took effect, leaving residents to weigh whether to stay in homes that could be hit again or flee with little warning.

AI-generated illustration
AI-generated illustration

The latest deaths came two days after Israel said it killed a Hezbollah Radwan Force commander in Beirut’s southern suburbs, its first strike there since the cease-fire. That attack, together with repeated incidents in southern Lebanon, has exposed how quickly the agreement has eroded. Israel and Hezbollah have continued trading fire since the U.S.-brokered truce was announced on April 16, and the violence has remained tied to the broader Israel-Hezbollah war, now a second front in the wider confrontation involving Iran.

Related photo
Source: s.france24.com

David Wood, senior Lebanon analyst at the International Crisis Group, called the arrangement “a ceasefire in name only” and “probably more accurately, it’s a limited de-escalation.” His assessment captures the gap between diplomatic language and conditions on the ground: civilians in towns such as Saksakiyeh are still being killed and wounded, evacuation orders remain in force, and neither side has shown much restraint.

Israeli strike — Wikimedia Commons
Masser via Wikimedia Commons (CC BY-SA 2.0)

Washington has tried to keep the talks alive. The United States has hosted two rounds of discussions between the Lebanese and Israeli ambassadors, the highest-level contacts between the two governments in decades, and the U.S. State Department has said a third round is scheduled for May 14 and 15 in Washington, with military representatives expected to join for the first time. For now, though, the repeated strikes suggest the cease-fire is functioning more as a fragile pause than as an enforceable barrier against renewed escalation.

Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?

Submit a Tip

Never miss a story.

Get Prism News updates weekly. The top stories delivered to your inbox.

Free forever · Unsubscribe anytime

Discussion

More in World