U.S.

LIRR strike enters third day, stranding thousands of New York commuters

Nearly 300,000 daily riders faced hours-long detours as the LIRR strike stretched into a third day, with talks still stalled over pay and healthcare.

Marcus Williams··2 min read
Published
Listen to this article0:00 min
Share this article:
LIRR strike enters third day, stranding thousands of New York commuters
Source: nyt.com

Hours-long detours on shuttle buses and subway connections replaced the Long Island Rail Road’s normal rush, turning one of the region’s most routine commutes into a daily disruption for nearly 300,000 passengers. The strike has stranded riders across Long Island and into New York City, forcing missed work time, delayed appointments and new costs for businesses that depend on a reliable flow of workers.

The stoppage began Saturday, May 16, after the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and five unions representing about 3,500 Long Island Rail Road workers failed to reach a new four-year contract. The dispute has now reached its third day, with service still suspended while negotiators continued bargaining after a late-night session failed to resolve the impasse.

At the center of the breakdown is the final year of the contract. The sides had already agreed to 9.5% wage increases over the first three years, but they remained divided on the last year. Union sources said the MTA also sought to sharply increase healthcare contributions for new hires, raising the share from 2% to 10%. That demand became one of the clearest signs of how far apart the two sides remained even after months of talks.

Related stock photo
Photo by Mario Spencer

The MTA said it was keeping shuttle buses and subway alternatives moving for stranded riders and that leaders would continue to negotiate with the unions. Union leaders, meanwhile, argued that workers were seeking only a modest wage increase and cast the dispute as a fair contract fight rather than a threat to the region’s economy. The National Mediation Board stepped in as pressure mounted to find common ground.

The strike is the first on the Long Island Rail Road since 1994, when a two-day walkout ended with a new contract. That history now hangs over the current standoff as commuters face a third straight day of uncertainty. With the railroad still shut down and no deal in hand, the cost of paralysis is spreading well beyond the tracks and into the region’s workday, household budgets and daily access to care.

Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?

Submit a Tip

Never miss a story.

Get Prism News updates weekly. The top stories delivered to your inbox.

Free forever · Unsubscribe anytime

Discussion

More in U.S.