Entertainment

Penelope Cruz backs The Black Ball, says message matters more than screen time

Penelope Cruz treated a small role in La bola negra as a vote for the film’s message, not her screen time. Cannes responded with a long ovation and a bidding war.

Marcus Williams··2 min read
Published
Listen to this article0:00 min
Share this article:
Penelope Cruz backs The Black Ball, says message matters more than screen time
Source: wsau.com

Penelope Cruz used Cannes to frame a limited part in La bola negra as a deliberate statement of purpose. She said she wanted to be part of the film even though her role is small, because the message mattered more than how long she was on screen.

That choice gave extra weight to a film already being positioned as more than another festival title. La bola negra, the Spanish-language The Black Ball, is directed by Javier Calvo and Javier Ambrossi, known as Los Javis, the pair behind Veneno and La Mesías. The Cannes Film Festival lists it as an In Competition feature and describes it as the story of three men in three different eras, linked by sexuality, desire, pain and inheritance, and by one of Federico García Lorca’s last unfinished works. Trade coverage says the film spans 85 years of Spanish history.

AI-generated illustration
AI-generated illustration

Cruz cast the project as an ambitious gay epic with potential reach beyond the festival circuit. She said films cannot single-handedly change the world, but they can help make things better, especially for young viewers who are still forming their views. The film’s wartime setting is meant to underline the value of dialogue and empathy as the only way to avoid violence, giving the story a moral and political frame as well as a historical one.

The response in Cannes suggested that framing resonated. La bola negra premiered on May 21, 2026, and drew a standing ovation that some accounts measured at 16 minutes and others at 20. That reaction helped fuel a bidding war for U.S. distribution rights, a sign that the film’s cultural argument is matching commercial momentum.

Related photo
Source: cdnph.upi.com

The project also carries substantial industry backing. Reported partners include Movistar Plus+, Suma Content Films, El Deseo and Le Pacte, and the cast includes Glenn Close alongside Cruz. The film is scheduled to open in Spain on October 2, 2026, through Elastica Films.

Related stock photo
Photo by Ron Lach

Cruz added another personal layer to the Cannes narrative when she disclosed that she had been warned about a possible brain aneurysm during production and finished her scenes after being medically cleared the next day. In a festival built on visibility, her remarks shifted attention toward why stars attach themselves to smaller, issue-driven films: to lend prestige, widen the audience and signal that the project is meant to carry cultural and political meaning beyond the red carpet.

Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?

Submit a Tip

Never miss a story.

Get Prism News updates weekly. The top stories delivered to your inbox.

Free forever · Unsubscribe anytime

Discussion

More in Entertainment