Politics

Senate parliamentarian blocks Trump White House ballroom security funding plan

The parliamentarian sidelined a $1 billion ballroom security bid, forcing Republicans to rewrite a White House funding plan already drawing intraparty fire.

Sarah Chen··2 min read
Published
Listen to this article0:00 min
Share this article:
Senate parliamentarian blocks Trump White House ballroom security funding plan
AI-generated illustration

The Senate parliamentarian delivered a sharp procedural setback to a $1 billion White House security request tied to Donald Trump’s ballroom project, ruling that the language did not fit budget reconciliation rules. The decision cut into a broader roughly $71.7 billion immigration-enforcement package and put Republicans on notice that even a filibuster-proof vehicle could not protect a provision that crossed into policy territory.

At issue was a Secret Service request that would have sent about $1 billion toward White House security upgrades, including roughly $220 million to harden the ballroom and East Wing area. The rest was aimed at wider security improvements around the White House complex. Elizabeth MacDonough, the Senate parliamentarian, found that the language did not comply with reconciliation limits, including the Byrd Rule’s restriction on non-budgetary provisions or items with only incidental fiscal effects.

AI-generated illustration
AI-generated illustration

Republicans had already been forced to defend the size of the request before the ruling. At a closed-door luncheon with Secret Service Director Sean Curran on May 13 in the Mansfield Room, several GOP senators pressed for a clearer explanation of why the figure was so large. John Curtis said he had “really hard questions” about asking for a billion dollars, while Susan Collins said she had “no idea” where the number came from. Rand Paul went further, predicting the ballroom money would be pulled before the measure reached floor consideration.

The White House and Secret Service argued that the scale of the planned ballroom required major security spending. The administration’s breakdown, made public in recent reporting, included the $220 million for hardening the addition with measures such as bulletproof glass and drone-detection technology. Curran had briefed Senate Republicans on the proposal and distributed materials explaining the plan before MacDonough’s ruling forced the text back to the drawing board.

The dispute also revived the politics of the ballroom itself. The White House initially described the project as a private-funded addition with an estimated cost of about $200 million, but later estimates climbed to roughly $300 million and then around $400 million. The East Wing of the White House was demolished in October 2025 to make room for the new 90,000-square-foot ballroom, fueling preservation backlash and litigation. Democrats quickly seized on the security fight as evidence that Republicans were trying to shield a luxury project while ordinary Americans faced far smaller priorities. Chuck Schumer called it a “billion-dollar ballroom” and cast the plan as politically outrageous.

Republicans were already redrafting the provision after meeting with MacDonough, suggesting they may try a narrower version that is more clearly tied to spending rules. For now, the ruling underscored a hard reality in Washington: a White House project with presidential backing can still run aground on Senate procedure, budget categories and the optics of federal spending.

Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?

Submit a Tip

Never miss a story.

Get Prism News updates weekly. The top stories delivered to your inbox.

Free forever · Unsubscribe anytime

Discussion

More in Politics