Politics

Trump administration forces green card applicants to apply abroad

Some green-card applicants already inside the United States could now be pushed to consulates abroad, a shift that could separate families and stall jobs.

Marcus Williams··2 min read
Published
Listen to this article0:00 min
Share this article:
Trump administration forces green card applicants to apply abroad
Source: vasquezlawnc.com

USCIS has moved to treat adjustment of status as an “extraordinary” form of relief, saying on May 22 that immigrants seeking green cards should generally go through consular processing at U.S. Department of State posts outside the country. The change sharpens a split that USCIS has long described on its own green-card pages: adjustment of status is for people already present in the United States, while consular processing is for applicants outside it.

The practical effect could be far more disruptive than a paperwork tweak. People living in the United States on temporary visas, including students, workers and tourists, are the clearest group exposed by the new language, because the policy says a person in the United States temporarily who wants a green card must return home except in extraordinary circumstances. For some applicants, that can mean leaving spouses and children behind, stepping away from jobs, and taking on the risk and cost of travel, delays and possible reentry problems.

AI-generated illustration
AI-generated illustration

Immigration lawyers read the memo as more than a routine clarification. The American Immigration Lawyers Association said USCIS is framing adjustment of status as “extraordinary relief” from the consular visa process and as administrative grace, not a right. USCIS also said officers should weigh all relevant facts on a case-by-case basis, which means the consequences may vary widely from one applicant to the next rather than falling uniformly across every pending case. USCIS’s adjustment-of-status guidance was current as of May 8, underscoring that the agency is working within an existing framework even as it narrows access to it.

The move fits a broader pattern of tightening legal immigration through procedure. NBC News previously reported that the administration paused immigration applications from nationals of 19 countries, and that those holds affected both green-card and citizenship processing for some people already in the United States. Taken together, the steps suggest a strategy that does not abolish legal immigration outright, but makes the in-country path harder to use and pushes more applicants into a slower, more uncertain process abroad.

Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?

Submit a Tip

Never miss a story.

Get Prism News updates weekly. The top stories delivered to your inbox.

Free forever · Unsubscribe anytime

Discussion

More in Politics