Politics

Trump administration pushes nationwide voter-roll purge ahead of 2026 midterms

Federal officials ran 67 million voter registrations through databases, triggering court fights over a system critics warn could flag lawful voters before the midterms.

Lisa Park··2 min read
Published
Listen to this article0:00 min
Share this article:
Trump administration pushes nationwide voter-roll purge ahead of 2026 midterms
Source: usnews.com

The Trump administration has turned voter-roll maintenance into a national power struggle, running at least 67 million voter registrations through government databases and flagging tens of thousands of records for follow-up as it hunts for noncitizens and dead voters. The effort, centered at the Department of Homeland Security, is being sold as a confidence measure. Critics say it is closer to a federal purge system that could knock eligible voters off the rolls before November if mismatches are treated as proof of ineligibility.

The mechanics matter. DHS has expanded the SAVE verification system so states and federal officials can check voter records against immigration and other government data, with recent reports saying the system has been overhauled, linked to Social Security numbers, stripped of fees and used for bulk searches. That has accelerated the pace dramatically: more than 9 million voter records had been run through the new SAVE system by July 2025, then more than 46 million by November 2025, and now at least 67 million names. The matching standards are the weak point. SAVE results can identify potential discrepancies, but they are not definitive, and false positives or incomplete results can wrongly flag lawful voters whose records do not line up cleanly across databases.

AI-generated illustration
AI-generated illustration

That risk is why the fight has moved straight into court. In May 2026, the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel issued a formal opinion backing demands for unredacted state voter rolls and saying DOJ can share those lists with DHS to check for noncitizens. Federal judges in California, Oregon, Michigan, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Arizona had already blocked the government from forcing states to hand over those lists. Common Cause sued DOJ on April 21, 2026, calling the effort a national voter-surveillance-and-purge database and saying at least 12 states had voluntarily complied.

Data visualization chart
Data Visualisation

The political stakes echo earlier voter-roll purge battles, when aggressive list maintenance produced wrongful removals and long lines at the proof-of-eligibility stage. Under the National Voter Registration Act, DOJ says states must keep accurate and current lists through a uniform, nondiscriminatory process; the U.S. Election Assistance Commission says list maintenance is an ongoing process of adding, updating and removing voters under state and federal law. But the practical burden falls hardest on voters most likely to be mismatched by data systems, including people who have moved recently, voters with name changes, and naturalized citizens whose records may not align neatly across agencies. Some states give voters only a month to prove eligibility, while others suspend registrations immediately, making a database error potentially decisive before the midterms.

Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?

Submit a Tip

Never miss a story.

Get Prism News updates weekly. The top stories delivered to your inbox.

Free forever · Unsubscribe anytime

Discussion

More in Politics