Politics

Trump’s shifting Iran war messaging deepens confusion over U.S. strategy

Trump said the Iran war had ended, then hours later warned the bombing could resume. The mixed messages jolted allies and markets while Rubio insisted the operation was over.

Marcus Williams··2 min read
Published
Listen to this article0:00 min
Share this article:

Donald Trump told Congress on Friday that hostilities in Iran had “terminated,” then turned around days later and said the fighting could restart at a much higher level if Tehran did not accept what had been negotiated. The reversal has exposed the cost of speaking for a president who treats ambiguity as a tool, even as the administration tries to keep legal and diplomatic options open after a war that began on Feb. 28, 2026, with major U.S.-Israeli strikes on military, government and infrastructure targets.

Marco Rubio tried to impose order on the shifting message on May 5, saying “the operation is over” and that Washington had moved from Operation Epic Fury to Project Freedom, a defensive effort meant to restore commercial traffic through the Strait of Hormuz. The waterway is only about 21 miles wide at its narrowest point and carries a significant share of global energy supplies. Rubio said the posture was defensive and that “there’s no shooting unless we’re shot at first,” while Jared Kushner and Steve Witkoff continued to press Iran on what Tehran would actually accept.

On the ground, the picture was less settled than the White House language suggested. The ceasefire, which took hold nearly a month ago, has been strained by renewed Iranian missile and drone attacks on the United Arab Emirates and by incidents in the Strait of Hormuz. U.S. officials said American forces responded defensively by destroying small Iranian boats and intercepting projectiles, but they said they had not resumed major combat operations. The administration said at least 10 sailors had died in the conflict.

Donald Trump — Wikimedia Commons
The White House from Washington, DC via Wikimedia Commons (Public domain)

Project Freedom was supposed to reassure civilian shipping crews, but even its first days showed how fragile the situation remained. U.S. officials said only two commercial ships had successfully transited under U.S. protection early in the escort effort. The seized Iranian ship M/V Touska became another flashpoint after it ignored six hours of warnings on April 19; a destroyer fired at the ship’s engine room, and later 22 crew members were transferred to Pakistan for repatriation after the vessel was boarded by U.S. Marines.

The rapid shifts have left allies, adversaries and markets trying to decode whether the United States is in a ceasefire, a defensive patrol or a war that can be redefined from one day to the next. For Tehran, the message is that U.S. policy still carries the threat of escalation. For everyone else, it is a reminder that strategy is harder to trust when the terms keep changing.

Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?

Submit a Tip

Never miss a story.

Get Prism News updates weekly. The top stories delivered to your inbox.

Free forever · Unsubscribe anytime

Discussion

More in Politics