Updates

Cupertino limits pickleball hours at Memorial Park amid noise concerns

Cupertino’s new pickleball pilot cuts Memorial Park drop-in hours and kills Mondays, showing how neighborhood noise can redraw retreat maps.

Sam Ortega··2 min read
Published
Listen to this article0:00 min
Share this article:
Cupertino limits pickleball hours at Memorial Park amid noise concerns
Source: localnewsmatters.org

For retreat planners and traveling players, Cupertino is a reminder that court access is now a local political decision, not a guaranteed amenity. The city approved a pilot that will limit free drop-in pickleball at Memorial Park to 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday, with no pickleball allowed on Mondays from July 2026 through February 2027. NBC Bay Area reported the new hours take effect July 7, 2026.

This was not a sudden reversal. Cupertino had already begun asking players to use quiet-category paddles and balls certified by USA Pickleball during the most sensitive windows, from dawn to 9 a.m. and again from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., with signage posted August 1, 2025. The city said that request was meant to balance recreation with neighborhood tranquility, especially near homes, and it has continued to say it still supports pickleball. Cupertino also said the Memorial Park specific plan includes pickleball courts in potential future improvements.

AI-generated illustration
AI-generated illustration

Memorial Park is the center of the fight because it is not a spare patch of pavement. Cupertino describes the 22-acre site as its largest and most well-used park, set beside the Cupertino Senior Center, Quinlan Community Center and Cupertino Sports Center. The Memorial Park Specific Plan was finalized in April 2024 after public outreach that ran from 2022 to 2024, and city staff later estimated full buildout of the plan’s improvements at about $85 million. The plan is nonbinding, a menu of options rather than a mandate, but it shows how pickleball noise has become tied to the bigger question of what the park should become.

Related photo
Source: i0.wp.com

The backlash has been real. More than 40 pickleball players protested an earlier city memo at the Cupertino City Council’s May 5, 2026 meeting, and city officials have kept monitoring and supporting re-striping work at the Memorial Park courts. At the same time, Cupertino Sports Center already offers eight pickleball courts, a sign that the city has at least one more structured place for players who lose some of the easy, open access at Memorial Park.

Related stock photo
Photo by K

That is the lesson for group trips, camps and social play weekends: parks surrounded by homes can turn contentious fast, while destinations with dedicated courts and clearer boundaries are better insulated. Cupertino’s pilot may be temporary, but it sits in a line of policy changes that make one thing plain. In pickleball, the sound of a busy court can now decide where the weekend goes.

Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?

Submit a Tip

Never miss a story.

Get Pickleball Retreats updates weekly. The top stories delivered to your inbox.

Free forever · Unsubscribe anytime

Discussion

More Pickleball Retreats News