Active Investigations

RCMP rules death of missing Brampton teen Jay’siiah Webb-Long a homicide

A planned search near Pelican Narrows uncovered human remains, and an autopsy has now linked them to missing 16-year-old Jay’siiah Webb-Long. His death is being treated as a homicide.

Sam Ortega··2 min read
Published
Listen to this article0:00 min
Share this article:
RCMP rules death of missing Brampton teen Jay’siiah Webb-Long a homicide
AI-generated illustration

Human remains found near Pelican Narrows have now been tied to a 16-year-old from Brampton, turning a missing-person file into a homicide investigation. The Saskatchewan RCMP says its Homicide Investigation Unit has taken over the death of Jay’siiah Webb-Long after an autopsy identified the remains as his.

Officers located the remains on May 13 during a planned search near the northern Saskatchewan community. Two days later, on May 15, the autopsy confirmed the identity of the deceased as Webb-Long. His family has been notified, and victim services have been made available.

AI-generated illustration
AI-generated illustration

The shift is the crucial break in a case that had already been treated as suspicious long before the remains were found. Webb-Long was first reported missing to Peel Regional Police, and Saskatchewan RCMP later took carriage of the investigation after determining the disappearance was suspicious. Investigators have said he had been living in Pelican Narrows around the time he disappeared.

RCMP say Webb-Long was last in contact with family on May 16, 2025. That date has become the anchor point in the timeline investigators are trying to rebuild, along with the period when he was living in Pelican Narrows and the months between his disappearance and the search that finally located human remains.

His mother, Shenice Long, had been searching for answers for months. She said Webb-Long lived in Brampton with her and his four siblings, and that she had last seen him at home in mid-March before their communication dropped to social media contact in mid-May. Police were later able to trace him to Pelican Narrows after someone recognized a missing-person poster online, placing him in northern Saskatchewan before the case moved into homicide territory.

Pelican Narrows sits about 420 kilometres north of Saskatoon and is part of Peter Ballantyne Cree Nation, a region where distance and access can complicate search efforts and witness canvassing. Peter Ballantyne Cree Nation had a registered population of 13,249 as of February 2026, including 7,647 members living on reserve and 5,178 off reserve.

The homicide designation keeps the case active and public. Investigators are still working to piece together Webb-Long’s movements between Brampton and Pelican Narrows, and anyone with information is being asked to contact Saskatchewan RCMP or Crime Stoppers. What began as a missing teen’s trail across provincial lines is now a homicide probe, and the timeline between his last known contact and the discovery near Pelican Narrows is where the answers still have to be found.

Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?

Submit a Tip

Never miss a story.

Get True Crime updates weekly. The top stories delivered to your inbox.

Free forever · Unsubscribe anytime

Discussion

More True Crime News