Duluth Public Schools staff blast leadership, budget decisions in open letter
Staff accused Duluth Public Schools leaders of retaliation and self-interest, as the district pushes $4.3 million in cuts and a disputed special education reassignment.

Duluth Public Schools staff turned a budget fight into a test of leadership on May 19, confronting the ISD 709 School Board with an open letter that accused district officials of arbitrary decision-making, financial self-interest and retaliation.
The letter landed in a packed room at district offices on Portia Johnson Drive, where parents, students and staff filled a 5:30 p.m. listening session before the 6:30 p.m. board meeting. At the center of the dispute is the proposed reassignment of Special Education Director Jason Crane to assistant director, effective July 1, a move the letter said was sudden and never clearly explained. Crane is still listed on the district’s special education page as director of special education, making the proposed change especially visible to families who rely on those services.

The staff letter broadened the criticism beyond one personnel decision. It asked the board for a meeting, a response and a written summary of proposed changes by May 26. If those demands are not met, the letter warns of possible votes of no confidence in district leadership and a request for an investigation from the Minnesota Department of Education.

The confrontation comes as the district works through one of its most difficult budget seasons in years. Duluth Public Schools has said it faces about a $4 million gap for the 2026-2027 school year, later refining the plan to $4.2 million in reductions. District leaders have said 43 staff positions are being displaced, though they have stressed that displacement does not always mean a layoff and that retirements and resignations may blunt the number of actual job losses.
Superintendent John Magas said earlier this spring that rising special education costs, higher health insurance premiums and transportation expenses were squeezing the budget, while state aid covers only about 60 cents on the dollar for special education. He also said about 85% of the district’s general budget goes to salary and benefits. The district’s April budget breakdown showed 15.61% of cuts at the administrative level, 5.8% at secondary schools and 4.1% at elementary schools.
The finalized reduction plan now totals $4,296,067 in general fund savings, with the biggest estimated cuts at the district level, $970,000, followed by East High School at $450,000, Ordean East at $350,000 and Denfeld High School at $303,500. District leaders say the plan was built after months of reviewing enrollment data and listening to feedback, including input gathered through ThoughtExchange with families and staff.
The special education dispute has become a credibility test for the board as much as a staffing issue. The letter said more than 90% of special education funding goes directly to staffing, a reminder that personnel decisions in that department shape student services, compliance and daily support across Duluth. With a revised budget overview scheduled for June 9 and adoption planned for June 16, staff are pressing the board to show whether it will defend leadership decisions, demand independent verification or change course before the cuts become final.
Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?
Submit a Tip

