Kennedy overhauls preventive care panel after year of clashes
Kennedy’s shake-up of the preventive care panel threatened no-cost coverage for cancer screenings, PrEP and other services for up to 180 million Americans.

Patients could feel the consequences of Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s overhaul of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force in their next doctor’s visit. The 16-member panel’s A and B recommendations trigger no-cost coverage under the Affordable Care Act for an estimated 150 million to 180 million people, putting screenings, preventive drugs and counseling at risk if the panel’s scientific independence weakens.
The task force, created in 1984, normally met three times a year and drew on volunteer experts in prevention, evidence-based medicine and primary care. By spring 2026, though, the Department of Health and Human Services had canceled three of the four meetings scheduled since Donald Trump took office last year, and the panel had gone more than a year without meeting. That left open questions about recommendations that shape coverage for cancer screenings, diabetes and cholesterol drugs, HIV prevention medication such as PrEP, and mental-health and substance-use screening.

Kennedy told the House Ways and Means Committee on April 16, 2026, that he was overhauling the panel and bringing on new members. He called the committee “lackadaisical and negligent for 20 years” and said it would hold more frequent meetings and operate with greater transparency. The remarks deepened a yearlong conflict over whether the task force would remain a scientific body or become another vehicle for political priorities inside HHS.
The political fight sharpened last summer, when reports said Kennedy was considering removing all 16 members because he viewed them as too “woke.” The American Medical Association responded that the task force played a critical, nonpartisan role in guiding physicians and helping ensure access to evidence-based clinical preventive services. The American Academy of Pediatrics called any effort to politicize the panel “incredibly alarming.”
The stakes rose further after the Supreme Court’s June 27, 2025 decision in Kennedy v. Braidwood Management upheld the task force’s structure and confirmed that HHS had authority over its members and recommendations. Public-health advocates warned that the ruling could make it easier for Kennedy to remake the panel in line with his broader views, similar to his overhaul of the CDC’s vaccine advisory committee.
The panel had recently been considering draft recommendations on autism screening in young children, breast cancer risk assessment and medications to reduce that risk, and counseling on early allergen introduction to prevent infant food allergies. It had also added two new members, Alicia Fernandez and Ericka Gibson, on January 16, 2025. But even those appointments did little to settle the bigger question now hanging over Washington: whether the recommendations that shield preventive care from copays will remain rooted in evidence, or become another casualty of the fight over federal health policy.
Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?
Submit a Tip
