San Diego mosque attack leaves three dead, hate crime probe underway
Three men were killed at San Diego's largest mosque as police traced two teens already reported missing with weapons and a car, deepening a hate-crime probe.

Three men were killed at the Islamic Center of San Diego when an active shooter response unfolded on the Clairemont campus, a place that serves both worshippers and children through the Al Rashid School. The mosque, the largest in San Diego County, has long functioned as a community hub on Hathaway Street, and officials said all children on site were safe.
Police said two teenage suspects were later found dead in a vehicle blocks away with apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Investigators are treating the attack as a hate crime and said there was evidence the suspects engaged in generalized hate rhetoric, though no specific threat had been made against the center. One suspect’s mother called around 9:40 a.m. to report that he had run away with missing weapons and her vehicle, and police said the search for the teens began about two hours before the mosque shooting.

At least one suspect was a student at Madison High School, prompting police to alert the school as part of the search. Officers also used automated license plate readers, a nearby mall and other leads as they tried to locate the pair before the shooting. The sequence underscored how quickly a missing-person report can turn into a mass-casualty investigation when weapons are involved.

The attack also exposed the vulnerability of faith-based schools and community centers that sit outside the standard K-12 security spotlight. Like schools across the United States, the Islamic Center of San Diego had sought to prepare students for the possibility that a gunman could breach its walls, a grim reality for a campus that includes the Al Rashid School, which teaches Arabic language, Islamic studies and the Quran to students ages 5 and up.

The center’s original building was constructed in 1990 and was formerly known as the Abu Bakr Al Siddiq Mosque. After the shooting, San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria ordered flags at city facilities lowered to half-staff, saying the city was mourning the victims and the Muslim community. The center said the immediate threat had been neutralized and resumed five daily prayers on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, including Fajr prayers, even as investigators continued reviewing possible extremist writings and the broader motive behind the assault.

The three men killed included a security guard and two community members, according to officials familiar with the case. For Muslim leaders, the violence sharpened a hard question that extends beyond one mosque in Clairemont: how much extra security should houses of worship be expected to carry on their own in a country where they are increasingly forced to prepare for the worst.
Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?
Submit a Tip

