Trump delays Iran strike after Gulf leaders urge talks continue
Trump delayed a planned strike on Iran after Gulf leaders urged more time for talks, extending a pattern of brinkmanship that now tests White House credibility.

Trump delayed a U.S. strike on Iran that had been scheduled for Tuesday after the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates urged him to hold off while serious negotiations continued. The decision added another turn to a pattern that has defined his Iran policy for months: threatened escalation, a last-minute pause, and new questions about whether the White House is deterring Tehran or teaching it that deadlines can be bent.
Trump said he had told Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Dan Caine to be ready for a “full, large scale assault” if a deal does not satisfy Washington. He said any agreement must guarantee “no nuclear weapons for Iran.” The message, delivered after weekend meetings with his national security team, kept the military option open even as he signaled a temporary pullback.
The delay came one day after Trump warned that Iran “better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them.” He had also told the New York Post that Iran knew “what's going to be happening soon,” while declining to spell out the details. Those threats followed a fragile ceasefire reached in April 2026, which Trump later said had already met and exceeded U.S. military objectives. Even so, he has kept issuing shifting deadlines and warnings that the truce could collapse.

The White House is now operating inside a tight circle of pressure from Gulf capitals, Israel and Tehran. Trump has spoken in recent days with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Chinese President Xi Jinping about the war, a sign the crisis has widened beyond a bilateral standoff. The Strait of Hormuz remains at the center of the stakes, since the narrow waterway is one of the world’s most important oil-shipping routes and a potential flashpoint for any wider confrontation.
The restraint also fits a familiar pattern from 2025 and early 2026, when Trump approved or threatened Iran attack plans before delaying final action. Earlier this year, Israeli and Arab officials privately urged the administration to avoid large-scale strikes until Iran was further weakened, arguing that an attack might not be decisive. That logic appears to have resurfaced in the latest pause.

For now, the administration is presenting the move as a delay, not a retreat. But the repeated cycle of escalation and restraint has become part of Trump’s deterrence strategy, and it is not yet clear whether that uncertainty is lowering the risk of war or raising the chance of a miscalculation by Iran, U.S. allies and markets watching the next deadline.
Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?
Submit a Tip

