World

US charges Raúl Castro in 1996 Brothers to the Rescue shootdown

Washington revived a 1996 Cuba case, charging Raúl Castro and five others over the Brothers to the Rescue shootdown as sanctions and pressure on Havana intensify.

Marcus Williams··2 min read
Published
Listen to this article0:00 min
Share this article:
US charges Raúl Castro in 1996 Brothers to the Rescue shootdown
AI-generated illustration

The United States has reopened one of the most fraught chapters in its dispute with Havana, unsealing a Miami indictment that accuses Raúl Castro and five others of conspiring to kill U.S. nationals in the 1996 shootdown of two Brothers to the Rescue planes. Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche announced the case at Miami’s Freedom Tower during a ceremony honoring the victims, and framed the move as a refusal to let the passage of time erase the deaths of four men.

The timing is the central political question. The indictment, returned by a Miami grand jury on April 23, 2026 and unsealed on May 20, lands as Washington has already stepped up sanctions, tightened pressure on Cuban entities and individuals, and restricted Venezuelan oil flows that have helped sustain the island’s economy. Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel condemned the move as a political maneuver and rejected its legal basis, underscoring how quickly a 30-year-old case has become a fresh signal in a sharpened bilateral confrontation.

The shootdown itself remains one of the defining flashpoints in U.S.-Cuba relations. On February 24, 1996, Cuban jets shot down two civilian planes operated by Brothers to the Rescue, a Miami-based exile group that had been searching the Florida Straits for Cubans trying to flee the island. All four men aboard were killed. Cuba said the aircraft were in Cuban airspace. The United States said they were over international waters. The International Civil Aviation Organization later concluded the attack took place over international waters, and one account said the first plane was about 18 miles off the Cuban coast while the second was 30.5 miles away.

Related stock photo
Photo by urtimud.89

The indictment charges Castro, who was Cuba’s defense minister at the time, with conspiracy to kill U.S. nationals, destruction of aircraft and four counts of murder. It also charges five other people and lays out seven counts in all, turning a long-settled historical outrage into a live legal and diplomatic instrument. Castro is now 94 and has stepped down as leader of Cuba’s Communist Party, which makes the case unlikely to produce a courtroom showdown. But the filing carries a different weight: it marks a major escalation in Washington’s pressure campaign and shows how the United States is using historical accountability cases to send a present-day message to Havana.

Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?

Submit a Tip

Never miss a story.

Get Prism News updates weekly. The top stories delivered to your inbox.

Free forever · Unsubscribe anytime

Discussion

More in World