Construction begins on 51-unit tiny home village in Hollywood neighborhood
Construction began on a 51-unit tiny home village at 5301 Sierra Vista Avenue, with neighbors split over safety and street impacts.

Construction began on a 51-unit tiny home village at 5301 Sierra Vista Avenue in Council District 13, dropping an interim-housing project into a Hollywood residential pocket where neighbors are already divided over what it will mean for safety, services and street conditions. The site sits on a roughly 19,185-square-foot parcel between Santa Monica Boulevard and Sierra Vista Avenue, parallel to the 101 Freeway.
The plan calls for 42 standard units and 3 ADA-compliant units, for 51 beds total, plus six hygiene cabins, two laundry cabins, four offices, one storage unit, one office-meeting room unit, one community structure and three parking spaces, including one ADA space. Mayor Karen Bass said the East Hollywood village will provide safe, stable interim housing for more than 50 unhoused Angelenos, including 10 beds for transitional-age youth, and said the project will include security.

Bass and Councilmember Hugo Soto-Martínez have framed the village as part of a broader city response to homelessness. Soto-Martínez said Los Angeles has enough interim housing capacity for only about one-third of people living on the streets, and said the city has grown its interim housing stock by more than 25% since Bass took office. Bass’s office also said an Inside Safe operation last year brought more than 20 unhoused people from an encampment just around the corner indoors, with medical care and social services.

City records say Dignity Moves will develop, construct and build the site under the Bureau of Engineering’s direction. The city’s February 27, 2025 report projected an 18-month construction timeline and a mid-2026 opening, but Bass said on May 14, 2026 that the village is now expected to open in early 2027.
The project is backed by a $33 million state investment from Governor Gavin Newsom and the State of California, with support from the California Department of Housing and Community Development, Hope the Mission, Built On Site Systems, Lehrer Architects and the Zegar Family Foundation. Council District 13 said the lease for the vacant lot was approved in April 2025 and that the district had about 450 interim beds serving thousands of unhoused Angelenos at the time, underscoring why city leaders are pitching 5301 Sierra Vista Avenue as a local answer to homelessness even as the neighborhood debate around it hardens.
Know something we missed? Have a correction or additional information?
Submit a Tip

